It’s your turn
Hebrews 4:3 says that his works have been finished since the creation of the world. He has done everything he is going to do for you. What does that mean? He is sitting on His seat of rest, and He is waiting for you. I repeatedly hear people say, “I don’t’ feel close to God.” “I have no intimacy with God.” Then I find out that they are doing nothing about it. Peter, James, and John were Jesus’ best friends because they desired him and desired to be with Him. It wasn’t because he liked them better than the other nine disciples.
I wondered why people don’t do more to seek after God. I quickly realized it was mostly because of wrong assumptions and lies. Let’s review a few.
Hindrances to Intimacy with God
- It’s a lot of work. At least that’s the way a lot of us think. I can almost feel my clients tense up and groan when I talk about seeking after God. But when you fell in love with your significant other, did it feel like work? No. You were wrapped in the mystery and adventure of getting to know that person. You desired to be with them all the time. It was difficult to leave them until the next time you would meet again. You thought about them all the time. That’s the way it should be for you and God.
- You don’t know what to do to get close to God. Rather than try something, you do nothing at all. Well, I will give you a list of ideas. But please, don’t just do nothing. There’s an old saying. “You can’t steer a ship unless it’s moving.”
- You don’t feel worthy. Hogwash!!! He created you. He desires you. You argue that you have done terrible things and have disqualified yourself. God doesn’t look at it that way. Moses was a murder. David was an adulterer. God made you. It is his heart’s desire for you to live in his presence.
- God doesn’t like you or love you. Somehow you believe that you were created a second-class citizen. You think that you were made differently than most people. Psalm 139 says that He formed you and knitted you together in your mother’s womb. It says that you were fearfully and wonderfully made. Jeremiah 1:5 says, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born, I consecrated you.” Also, Romans 8:29 For unto those who he knew beforehand, he also marked out beforehand the way that they might be conformed to the image of his Son. He has always known you. You just don’t remember. If you don’t believe this, tell me, and let’s work on it together.
It starts with you, your heart’s desire, and the effort you are willing to put into the adventure of knowing God. Artisans don’t become great without practice. If you desire to be full of His wisdom, if you want to fall in love with God, if you are yearning for His peace and His Joy, “you” must do something about it. He is waiting for you to come to Him. Why is he waiting? Because He has done His part. He wants you to seek Him. It will help you understand your love for him. Matthew 6:18 also says,” Seek first the kingdom of God.” He’s a gentle person. He isn’t going to force you into anything you don’t want to do. My Dad used to say that the process is as important as the end result. It’s in the doing that truth gets cemented in our lives. He wants you to understand the value of your relationship with Him.
What’s more important to a man, a Mercedes. or a Fiat? The Mercedes because it cost him more. The same thing is true with God. Seeking Him will help you value God in your life.
So, what can you do to know Him?
Avenues to intimacy
- Read or listen to books You need to lay a foundation that is unshakable. It starts with knowing the bible and other supporting works like the Book of Enock, The Book of Jubilees, The Book of Giants. Why you ask? Well, 2 Timothy 2:15 says, “Study to show yourself approved to God.” Also, John 8:32 says, “You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.” The word know means to bury within you. I’ll say it again if you hate reading use an app like Audible and listen. If you have a short attention span, listen to the same book three times. You will understand something new every time.
- Learn meditation A great place to start is http://www.practicalmeditations.online/ This is Kirby De Lanerolle’s website. Another link is the Fuse Life podcast https://youtu.be/jyYS-48MvXU This is an interview with Taylor Remington. It will explain meditation to you if you are unfamiliar.
- Silence Spend time in silence and just focus on the presence of God. Start with just five minutes once or twice a day. If your mind wanders, it’s okay. Just do it again. You will find yourself more and more focused as you practice. Have you ever heard someone say, “We are changed in His presence?” This is one of the ways.
- Living Loved I highly recommend Katherine Wang’s course on intimacy with God. It’s a series of 20-minute lessons with practical exercises. Not only will it make you feel closer to God, but it will also improve your sanctified imagination.
- Sounds, Frequencies, and Sound Baths I know this may sound crazy to you. But it helps detox and align your cells. There are a few links I recommend for this. Elisabeth Cooper Music https://elisabethcooper.com/, Del Hungerford at Healing Frequencies Music https://www.healingfrequenciesmusic.com/ The third is Laura C https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6tTPQqW1ghZBoPm_BuGDdw. Listen! Sit silently in God’s presents. Things will manifest in you and through you.
- Divine Journaling. Get a notebook just for you and God. 1) Ask him a question and write it down. 2) Write down any thoughts that come to your mind. If you think it’s just your imagination or fantasy, share the journal with someone you trust. In time, you will know when it is you talking or daydreaming and when God truly answers you.
- Use your imagination You can do many things in your imagination. Go for walks with God. Dance with Jesus. Let Holy Spirit wrap her skirts around you like hugging your mom’s legs when you were a child. Sit on a park bench with Jesus. Go sailing or horseback riding with God and journal what happens. Again, if you think it is pure fantasy, share it with and friend and see what they think.
Well, that’s about it for now. I pray this blog help’s you.